- Loan requests from faculty and staff of universities, museums, and scientific organizations will be considered. Students may borrow specimens only through their advisors. All loans are considered to be the responsibility of the institution with which the borrower is affiliated.
- Loans will be made for scientific and educational purposes only.
- All specimens and parts thereof must be returned to the MCZ.
- All labels must stay with the specimens at all times. Never discard any pieces of paper found with specimens, even if paper appears to be blank. Any new labels added should be dated and signed, and should be on label quality paper, using permanent ink or pencil.
- All specimens on loan must be kept in the preserving fluid in which they were received, unless permission to change medium is granted.
- Permission must be granted before any of the following procedures are performed on MCZ specimens: dissection; preparation for SEM; making permanent microscopic slides; DNA analysis; clearing & staining; any other destructive procedure.
- Non-type material may be lent for six months to one year. Loans of type material will be made for six months from date of receipt, and will be limited to six lots per loan.
- Credit for any use of MCZ material should be given in resulting publications, and reprints should be sent to the Department of Malacology.
- All type specimens must be returned via registered mail to:
Department of Malacology
Museum of Comparative Zoology
26 Oxford Street
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA