MCZ specimen cabinets
MCZ Collections Operations
Policies & Protocol
Guidelines to Filming & Still Photography
- Open Hours: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday
- Closed all federal holidays and between Christmas and New Years Day
- All work must take place during normal business hours. Only under very rare circumstances are exceptions made.
- An MCZ Copyright Permission Request form must be completed and approved before all projects.
- The “Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University” should be credited within the body of the video (if possible) and in the credits at the end of the film.
- The MCZ should receive videotape of the finished piece for the archives.
- Availability is limited by collection protocol, research and teaching activities, etc.
- Access to specimens within the collections is strictly limited and must be approved beforehand.
- The MCZ must be informed of the lighting procedure and requirements including maximum amount of power. Building lights may not be turned off during filming unless approved beforehand.
- In order to minimize light and heat exposure to the items to be filmed, we request that you use considered lighting, such as “kino-flo” fluorescent instead of incandescent light.
- Film crews/ photographers are responsible for providing all of their own equipment and ancillary gear, such as props, cloth and extension cords.
- Delivery of any equipment must be arranged beforehand, and parking is the responsibility of the film crew/ photographer.
- All film crews/ photographers must provide a Certificate of Insurance naming the MCZ prior to filming.
- Due to the number of requests to film, all shoots must be scheduled ahead of time by contacting Collections Operations.