MCZ Classroom, 1892
By accessing content on the Museum of Comparative Zoology’s website (the "Site," which includes all pages displayable from an MCZ web server, including but not limited to all servers within the "mcz.harvard.edu" domain (including fourth-level domains, e.g., "collections.mcz.harvard.edu") and certain MCZ servers within the "lsdiv.harvard.edu" domain), you accept and agree to be bound by the following User Agreement:
(1) Intellectual Property. — All content made available to you by the MCZ (the "Content") — including but not limited to text, images, original compilations of data, software, content presented in multimedia formats, in addition to content made available from the Museum of Comparative Zoology's publications Breviora, Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, and Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoology (together, "MCZ Journal Content") — is the intellectual property of President & Fellows of Harvard College ("Harvard"). Harvard retains all rights, including copyrights, in the Content, subject to the limitation that copyright and other proprietary rights may be held by individuals or entities other than, or in addition to, Harvard. To the extent data and other content made available to you by the MCZ is not protectable by copyright, your access to said content is conditioned upon your acceptance of the terms of this User Agreement, including the use restrictions set forth below.
(2) Limited General License. — Subject to the further restrictions of Paragraph 3 ("Use of MCZ Journal Content") you will not reproduce, distribute, display, perform, or engage in any other use of the Content, except as necessary to accomplish a bona fide, noncommercial educational or research purpose ("Licensed Use"). Copying or redistributing MCZ Content in any manner for commercial use, including commercial publication, or for personal gain, is strictly prohibited. If you engage in a Licensed Use of the Content, you will make appropriate attribution of the Content. A citation that includes the language "Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University" will be sufficient attribution for purposes of this User Agreement. For Content obtained from the MCZ's website, you shall additionally reference the website's URL, http://mcz.harvard.edu.
(3) Use of MCZ Journal Content/Unlicensed Uses. — You agree that the limited general license granted above does not extend to uses of MCZ Journal Content. You will not reproduce, display, distribute, perform, or engage in any other use of MCZ Journal Content, without first obtaining specific permission from the Museum of Comparative Zoology. You may request permission to use MCZ Journal Content, or to make an unlicensed use of any other Content, by completing and submitting a Permission Request to Use MCZ Copyrighted Material.
(4) Use of Third Party Content. — To the extent the MCZ Content incorporates the copyrighted material of third parties ("Third Party Content"), you agree to make only such Licensed Uses of said Third Party Content as are consistent with copyright law. Harvard does not warrant that any use of Third Party Content will not infringe the rights of the content owners.
(5) Disclaimer of Warranties/ Limitation of Liability. — Harvard makes the Content available free of charge and to the fullest extent permitted by law disclaims all warranties of any kind (express, implied, or otherwise) regarding the Content, including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and noninfringement. You access MCZ's Content and/or website at your own sole risk and in no event shall Harvard or its affiliates, agents, officers, directors, or employees be liable to you, in contract, tort, or otherwise, for any damages of any kind arising out of your access to the Content and/or the website.
(6) Indemnification. — You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Harvard and its affiliates, agents, officers, directors, and employees from and against any and all liability, loss, claims, damages, costs, and/or actions (including attorneys' fees) arising from your use of the Content, MCZ's website, or the Museum of Comparative Zoology's collections.
Version Date: 8 August 2011